Friday, October 9, 2009

Baking

Had a good day baking today. Chatty & I made Rice Krispy (Bubbles) Squares for the first time since I moved down here to Australia. I'm not a big fan of the marshmallows available here, so it's on my list to make some. The Squares were a hit with Chatty, Mischief wouldn't touch them. Also made some fresh bread, I haven't been happy with any bread I've made down here yet, and i thought it was my bread maker, but the same strange flavour came out in the handmixed, kneaded loaf I made today, so now I'm thinking that it has to do with the ingredients again. I've been using homebrand flour etc.

Also did some of these Superpower breakfast cookies from http://jchandmade.typepad.com/jc_handmade/2009/09/superpowers.html

superpower breakfast cookies

recipe makes about 3 dozen
: preheat oven to 350: combine wet ingredients (we used organic whenever possible)

1 egg
1/3 cup greek yogurt (we used nonfat)
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter)

: in a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (again, organic whenever possible)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups oats
1/2 cup whole ground flax seed meal
2 scoops protein powder (we used soy)
1 cup dark chocolate chips (we used 60%)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 tsp EACH of baking soda, baking powder and salt

: stir dry into wet until just combined - do not overbeat.: spoon onto cookie sheet - we used a 2 oz. ice cream scoop and flattened them with the bottom of a glass: bake for 9-10 minutes on 350, place on a rack to cool.

We didn't have any yoghurt the first time around so I mashed some bananas, but I think you could also use applesauce or really whatever your imagination leads to as long as it's that moist & thick.

Also swapped out the walnuts for almonds, and this time used a few pecans too, yum!
Last time I replaced the ground flax seed & protein powder with LSA, didn't have any this time, so have used sunflower seeds & whole linseeds, which really need to be ground for the goodness to be absorbed, otherwise they just pass through..

Chances are, whatever you use, it will work.

Lastly we made Banana Muffins, which smell great!

Gotta love school holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, almost all comments are welcome! Spam is not welcome.